TOUR DURATION: 6-11hrs (Approx.)
Our qualified driver-guides at Black Taxi Cab Tours chauffeur visitors in the style and comfort that can only really be experienced in a traditional London black taxi cab from wherever they’re staying straight to Highclere Castle, where the British TV series ‘Downton Abbey’ is filmed, as well as the nearby village of Bampton where scenes involving the church, Mrs Crawley’s house and the Post Office are filmed.
Highclere Castle is a 90 to 120 minute drive from London (depending on the departure point) through the gently rolling hills of the delightful leafy Cotswold’s area of England, and the tour of the Castle itself includes the red staircase – the scene of many dramatic entrances – as well as the Saloon where characters are greeted by Carson. Also on the tour is the Music Room, the Library and some of the many bedrooms including the Stanhope Room – Lady Mary’s room where she had an illicit encounter with a Turkish lover with disastrous consequences in Season 1, and the Portico Chamber where Lady Sybil died soon after giving birth. Highclere Castle is presently owned by the Queen’s godson the eighth Earl of Carnarvon, and was built in the mid-1800s soon after a young Queen Victoria came to the throne – though some parts of the old manor dating back many centuries still remain.
Highclere’s architect was Sir John Barry who also designed the astounding Houses of Parliament in Central London – and the similarities between the two buildings are certainly striking! Travelling to Highclere in a traditional London black taxi cab means you not only get privacy and comfort, you also get the services of a London cabbie who’s a qualified guide and will tell you all about the history of the area and stop whenever you want to stop – perhaps to take a picture, have a break or stroll through one of the many picture-postcard villages in the southern Cotswold’s on the way there or back. What’s more, the ever-mysterious and intriguing Stonehenge is only a slight detour, so why not combine the two?
As Highclere Castle is a residence occupied by the Earl of Caernarvon and his family, visiting times are very restricted. A departure time from London of 8am at the latest is necessary to visit the Castle’s interior, and this is available on specific days only.
- Option #1: The magnificent Highclere Castle & Gardens – Duration: 6hrs (Approx.)
- Option #2: As per Option #1 plus the Downton Abbey film locations of Bamption & Shilton – Duration: 8hrs (Approx.)
- Option #3: As per Option #2 plus lunch at the Swann Inn in Swinbrook – Duration: 9hrs (Approx.)
- Option #4: As per Option #3 plus a panoramic drive through the Southern Cotswold’s and Oxford’s world renowned universities – Duration: 10.5hrs (Approx.)
- Children under 16 yrs old must be accompanied by an adult
- Tours cancelled within 48hrs will be subjected to a cancellation fee
- Pickup times must be strictly adhered to, no variance to be allowed
- Max of 5 passengers per taxi (Iconic Classic London Cab)
- Max of 6 passengers per taxi (Mercedes Vito London Cab)
- Multiple Pickups are not available
- Please inform your guide if you wish to be dropped off at an alternative London location at the end of the tour. (This is included in the package)
- If you have any additional preference, please contact us at email@example.com to discuss any other requirements you have. Our experts would be happy to design a custom tour for you.
Tour includes a Professional Driver Guide & Photo Opportunities. Tour Excludes Foods/Drinks, Entrance Fees to Attractions, & Gratuities.
PRICE: Option 1 – £420, Option 2 – £540, Option 3 – £600, Option 4 – £720