TOUR DURATION: 9hrs (Approx.)
Surrounded by an enchanting, shimmering lake Leeds Castle is a picture-perfect place to spend a few hours soaking up the fascinating history of the place and enjoying the stunningly beautiful surroundings. Through its 900 year history Leeds Castle has been a Norman stronghold, the private property of six of England’s medieval Queens and a palace used by Henry VIII. In the 1930s the castle was a playground for the rich and famous, and its last private owner Lady Baillie entertained the high society that made its way over from London for the weekends.
Today the interior offers visitors a glimpse of its rich past with a fine collection of art, porcelain and furniture.
Your London Cabbie will take you to the House that Churchill loved, especially for the stunning views over the rolling hills of the Weald of Kent. Churchill modernized the Victorian mansion – which was rather gloomy originally – by adding a garden wing consisting of three large and attractive rooms. Churchill’s wife Clementine made her contribution by choosing the comfortable furniture and floral chintz curtains. The 80 acre estate gave Winston the peace and tranquility that he loved, and he relaxed by painting in the garden or in his studio and by transforming the grounds with new lakes, and robust brick walls built with his own hands. The Chartwell which rises on the western boundary of the site fed into existing lake and gave the estate its name.
Our drive would be happy to make one or both of these side-trips on the day – please bear in mind that each of these trips will add about 60-90 minutes to the day and will incur a small additional cost- we would be happy to discuss the options available to you.
Westerham: the pretty little town in the Kent countryside where General James Wolfe was born, and where Alice Liddell, the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland, lived for a while.
Hundred Acre Wood: Ashdown Forest is the setting for AA Milne’s Hundred Acre Wood where Winnie the Pooh and his friends embark upon their many adventures – bring your own pooh sticks and visit the original Pooh bridge!
- See the enchanting, fairy-tale Leeds Castle surrounded by a picturesque lake
- Travel through the beautiful Kent countryside, known as the Garden of England
- See the delightful home of Britain’s most charismatic wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill
- Side trips available to Winnie the Pooh’s forest and/or Westerham, home town of General Wolfe
- Tour Departure Time: 8am daily (subject to special events – please contact us for details)
- Children under 16 yrs old must be accompanied by an adult
- Tours cancelled within 48hrs will be subjected to a cancellation fee
- Pickup times must be strictly adhered to, no variance to be allowed
- Max of 5 passengers per taxi (Iconic Classic London Cab)
- Max of 6 passengers per taxi (Mercedes Vito London Cab)
- Multiple Pickups are not available
- Please inform your guide if you wish to be dropped off at an alternative London location at the end of the tour. (This is included in the package)
Tour includes a Professional Driver Guide & Photo Opportunities. Tour Excludes Foods/Drinks, Entrance Fees to Attractions, & Gratuities.